Now that it looks likely that gas prices will remain at $3+/gallon, I'm doing something I probably should have done awhile ago: I'm driving the speed limit...or under it.
On a recent trip with my wife and son, I drove 69mph in 65mph zones and 59 in 55 zones. That was enough to yield a line of irrate drivers behind me. I would pull way over to the right to let them by only to get "a look" from the drivers and passengers. I think some people equate the speed one drives with one's I.Q. which clearly puts me in the "severly retarted" category. Oh, well.
America has no reserves and we're making enemies of all the countries who do. Drilling Alaska would probably help for about a year, maybe two until it dries out. We could save somewhere upwards of 10 million barrels of oil a day (don't quote me on that) if everyone consistently drove 55 on the highways.
Besides the savings, I found myself relaxing at lower speeds, taking in more, enjoying the experience more. And the trip didn't take that much longer.
Once home, I started my own policy of sticking to 55 whether I was in a 55 or 65mph zone. I've noticed more drivers beginning to do that as well. I guess I'll call us the "Right Laners". I'm not out to piss anyone off and I'm not out to be politically correct. I am trying to cut down on my own expenses at the gas pump as driving is absolutely necessary to my job as a visiting hospice music therapist. I can't use buses or taxis or planes or trains, let alone bicycles or walking. I must use my car.
Anyway, I challenge anyone reading this to do this: drop your cruising speed by 10mph and stick to the speed limits imposed within city limits.
Pedal faster!
-PHil
Friday, May 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment