As I watch the snow drift down, surrounded by unplayed guitars, warmed by the electric fire and all too aware of the refrigerator's obnoxious hum, I find myself once again contemplating the basics. The What-we-knows versus What-we-don't knows. That, of course, causes me to reminisce fondly on the poetic responses of the one and only Mr. Rumsfeld:
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."
In terms of known knowns, I know the snow is falling down outside my window, the electric fire is providing warmth and that the refrigerator sounds like forceps gently scraping the inside of my skull. That the life of each and every one of us will cease at some point is also a pretty substantial known known. I know I know I'm alive and I know I know I will die.
Of the known unknowns, I'd have to say the biggie is what, if anything, happens after death. I'm not sure what Rummie was referring to, but that's the one for me. I have to qualify it however by saying that just because it is unquestionably a huge known unknown, I'm choosing not dwell on it...too much. But I am content to say that I know for a fact that I do not know what comes after all...this.
Wrapping it up, I guess the pattern set up by the first two leads to the logic of the 3rd: unknown unknowns. That's a toughy, though, and I get the feeling that's the one that made the former secretary of defense adjust his wirerims the most. I can't fathom losing much sleep however trying to figure out the things I don't know I don't know.
I guess my question is, Do I need to know the unknowns I don't know that I don't know? Or can I just make myself another cup of tea?
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm grinning as I get myself another hhhhot cuppa joe...it's COLD out there. I know that.
Post a Comment