Saturday, August 12, 2006

Between Waking & Sleeping, Revisited

It's been almost three months since I had my tonsils removed along with my uvula and part of my soft palette. The upside is I don't snore and I am in fact feeling more rested and more focused during the day.

Completely out of character for me and due in part to this new found energy and alertness, I signed my son and myself up for Tai Kwon Do. We go two nights a week and for me it is a tremendous workout. For my 5-year-old, it's an opportunity to learn self-discipline and respect in a non-threatening way. Our instructor, Master Kim, is addressed by the old and young alike as "sir" at all times. Yet unlike a drill sergeant, the respect we show him is always reciprocated.

Unfortunately the other day, while attempting to break a board with a white-belt level front kick, I made contact with absolutely the wrong part of my right foot. Later that evening it was completely swollen and burning to the point where sleep was nearly impossible. 48 hours later and it feels fine, almost back to normal.

On the downside of the operation, I can no longer roll my 'R's which really bothers me. I used to have a nearly flawless French accent and with my big ol' uvula I could roll with the best of them. No longer. Alors, tampis pour moi!

No comments: