
As many of my friends are now acquainted, over the past year I've found myself taking Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs as Gospel. Initially I looked it over and arrongantly offered that I "exist" on the top most level of "self-actualization". With closer scrutiny and a better understanding that operating on one level is more or less impossible unless the needs of the supporting level have been met, I understood that I more honestly exist in the first two levels: Physiological and Safety.
Physiologically I've spent the past few years trying to get my sleep together. And now with my recent surgery, sleep is very much improving. I've also attempted healthier low-carb eating and mild exercise in an effort to lose weight. The weight loss however is less about vanity than it is additional attempt to improve the quality of my sleep. With improvements to my sleeping I've already noticed better focus, memory and attention to detail. I've begun writing songs again which I almost literally stopped doing after my son was born.
It's one thing to say to myself "I am an artist", "I am a musican" or "I'm a creative person" but those are just words until I can actually make art or music. Making art or music requires that my mind and spirit are clear and active and responsive to their environment. For that to occur, my body, heart and mind must be nurtured and rested.
If I want to make big things happen, I take care of the little things, the things that can actually be controlled. If I make sure I'm sleeping well, eating well and exercising (to any degree) I will be in a better position, a healthier frame of mind, to address the upper levels of Maslow's pyramid when the time comes.
Addressing primary needs such as sleeping, eating, and exercise has resulted in the needs of the highest level, Self-Actualization, being addressed.

No comments:
Post a Comment