- Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing
- Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence
- The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will
- A set of principles or beliefs
- Belief in a particular thing or person; religion; trust; confidence; loyalty
- An understanding, a belief, a thought about something, someone, some situation that cannot be proven
- an allegiance to duty or a person
- fidelity to one's promises
- sincerity of intentions
- belief and trust in and loyalty to God
- belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
- firm belief in something for which there is no proof
- complete trust
- something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs
- Faith allows for no tangible evidence to be made available—that you know of—which would back up or support your claim, idea, theory or thought. It is simply an overwhelming understanding that, to you, is convincing
- Being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see
- Faith is believing in things that common sense tells you not to—from “A Miracle on 34th St.”
- Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe—Archie Bunker
Sunday, February 11, 2007
Defining faith
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Fancy meeting you here in the void, Phil!
I'm new at this sort of thing, so if this comment actually posts, I'll be amazed.
Faith.
Somehow, although I can't be sure, since cyberspace certainly isn't my strength, I got here. That says something...
Experiences beyond my comprehension have shown me that something out there, something see-able by my autistic son and not by me, exists.
Whether I believe it or not.
No one, however, could prove what I have seen in his eyes and his energy, time and again, or in his words, but they raised goosebumps. And kept on surprising me with their inexplicable veracity.
Little miracles that happen almost daily, now that my eyes have opened a bit more to seeing in this huge sixth-sense way of his, continue to arouse my sense of wonder.
"Hope" is my son's favorite word.
Joy is mine. Faith says to me, "Look ahead."
"Common sense," I think, has more (rather than less) to do with believing in those sensory perception anomalies that my son experienced and physiologically felt. When he spoke of "holy gold," for example, even though I couldn't see it, the feeling in my heart expanded and warmed, unbidden. That, in itself, that place where we sense a spiritual connection, is a thing we all have in common, whether or not our awareness of it has been opened.
Maybe Santa in that film could have described faith, instead, as "Knowing what we all have in common, whether it seems to make sense to us right now, or not!"
Just a few random thoughts in the wee hours before Valentine time.
Sweet dreams!
Connie
Post a Comment